Doves Farm Organic White Rye Flour 1kg
Rye, secale cereale, is a popular grain grown throughout Central and Eastern Europe. This hardy crop can thrive in poor soils and cold conditions.
Rye grain has been cultivated at Doves Farm for many years and grows well on chalk and flint down lands. Traditionally farmers grew rye on land not suitable for wheat and occasionally planted wheat and rye together hoping one or the other would thrive. Rye flour is naturally high in gliadin but low in glutenin resulting in a lower gluten content than wheat flour thus producing characteristic close textured and flavoursome bread and baked goods.
Baking with Rye Flour
White rye flour can add variety to sweet and savoury baking. It is naturally low in gluten so baked items will have a close crumb structure. Characteristically rye dough can become sticky in some recipes so it is often combines with wheat flour.
Doves Farm Foods was established in 1978, when we wanted to make flour from the organic wheat we grew. We bought a millstone and set it up in the barn on our farm on the picturesque Wiltshire/Berkshire border. We now have a thriving business which mills many different and rare grains. At the heat of our ethos, we are dedicated to ethical production methods, slow food and the organic movement. On our farm we rotate crops, livestock and grassland, as well as respecting the biodiversity of wildlife and the local environment. We have had Soil Association organic certification for over 30 years.
We are also passionate about home baking and believe that what we eat today will affect our health and well-being tomorrow. Baking bread, cookies and cakes at home is a satisfying and rewarding activity. You can choose the best, local and seasonal ingredients, and know what goes into your family's food.
Return To Address
Doves Farm Foods,
Machine Rye Bread
For best results follow your usual bread machine recipe replacing a quarter to a half of the strong bread flour with white rye flour. If using only white rye flour follow you usual recipe increasing the total amount of flour by 50% without increasing the other ingredients.
Herby Sconeround Bread
Oven 220°C/Fan 200°C/425°F/Gas 7
200g White rye flour
4tsp Baking powder
4tsp Fresh or dried mixed herbs
2tbsp Olive oil
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, herbs, sugar and salt.
2. Stir in the milk and oil to form a ball of dough.
3. Flatten the ball of dough to a 15cm/6" round and place it on an oiled baking tray.
4. With a sharp knife cut the dough into eight sections without cutting right through.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25/30 minutes.
Rum & Raisin Pancakes
2tbsp Dark rum/orange juice
50g White rye flour
1. Put the raisins and rum or juice into a dish leave for 30 minutes.
2. Separate the eggs, beat the whites until stiff then set aside.
3. Beat the yolks with the sugar until thickened.
4. Beat in the milk followed by the flour.
5. Stir in the soaked raisins and liquid.
6. Carefully fold in the beaten egg whites.
7. Put a little butter in a heavy frying pan over gentle heat.
8. Add large spoons of batter to the pan and cook gently.
9. Turn over when the base is golden, add more butter if needed.
10. Repeat with remaining batter.
Chunky Rye Biscuits
Oven 200°C/Fan 180°/400°F/Gas 6
200g White rye flour
125g Softened butter
1. Work or blend all the ingredients to form a dough.
2. Press to 15mm/1/2" thick.
3. Cut out 40mm/1 1/2" rounds
4. Transfer to a large oiled baking tray.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15/18 minutes.
Country of Origin
Doves Farm Foods,
Bag - Paper
To keep your flour at its best, roll down the top after use and store in a cool dry place.
EU Organic - GB - ORG - 05/EU, non-EU Agriculture
Ingredients from more than one country.
Milled in the UK.
Allergy Advice: For allergens see highlighted ingredients
Rye Flour* (contains Gluten), *Organic produce
|Typical Values||Per 100g|
|of which saturates||0.3g|
|of which sugars||0.7g|