Doves Farm Wholegrain Spelt Flour 1kg
Baking with Spelt Flour
Wholegrain spelt flour will be delicious in your favourite wholemeal recipes. Spelt breads will naturally prove and rise more quickly than those made with conventional wheat flour, so reduce rising times and bake as soon as the dough has doubled in size rather than the timing given in standard bread recipes
Spelt, or triticum spelta, is an ancient relative of the modern wheat, which we have been growing on our farm since 1996. First cultivated over 9,000 years ago, it is a cousin of modern wheat. Spelt warrants a mention in the book of Ezekiel in the Bible, as well as being favoured by mystics and herbalists throughout history. Legend has it that the Roman army called spelt their 'marching grain'. To make wholegrain flour, the inedible outer husk is removed, leaving the inner bran and grain intact. Wholegrain Spelt flour has a deliciously complex flavour and is excellent in specialist breads or luxurious cookies.
Doves Farm Foods was established in 1978, when we wanted to make flour from the organic wheat we grew. We bought a millstone and set it up on the barn on our farm on the picturesque Wiltshire/Berkshire border. We now have a thriving business which mills many different and rare grains. At the hearts of our ethos, we are dedicated to ethical production methods, slow food and the organic movement. On our farm we rotate crops, livestock and grassland, as well as respecting the biodiversity of wildlife and the local environment. We have had Soil Association organic certification for over 30 years.
We are also passionate about home baking and believe that what we eat today will affect our health and well-being tomorrow. Baking bread, cookies and cakes at home is satisfying and rewarding activity. You can choose the best, local and seasonal ingredients, and know what goes into you family's food.
Michael & Clare Marriage, Doves Farm
To keep your flour at its best, roll down the top after use and store in a cool dry place.
Machine Spelt Bread
Select the spelt programme if available or use the dough programme and bake the spelt bread in a conventional oven.
Roman Style Loaf
The extra liquid in this recipe bakes a loaf with a crumpet like crumb structure.
Oven 200°C/Fan 180°C/400°/Gas 6
500g Wholemeal spelt flour
1tsp Quick yeast
400ml Warm water
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1. In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt and quick yeast.
2. Dissolve the honey in the water and roughly mix it into the flour.
3. While the dough is still craggy add the oil and mix well.
4. Knead or work the dough for a few minutes then divide between two 500g/1lb bread tins.
5. Cover & leave dough to rise for about 25 minutes in a warm place.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 40/45minutes.
Honey & Cinnamon Cookies
Oven 190°C/Fan 170°C/375°F/Gas 5
175g Wholemeal spelt flour
1/2tsp Baking powder
2tsp Ground cinnamon
100g Sunflower Oil
1. Mix together all ingredients.
2. Place spoonfuls on oiled baking trays leaving space for expansion.
3. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 8/12 minutes.
Fig & Walnut Bread
This delicious bread is wonderful with both sweet and savoury toppings or just simply spread with butter.
Oven 220°C/Fan 200°C/425°F/Gas 7
1tsp Original dry yeast
3tbsp Luke warm water
500g Wholemeal spelt flour
300ml Luke warm water
100g Dried Figs
4tbsp Orange juice
1. Mix the yeast with 3 tablespoons of luke warm water and leave for 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, and sugar.
3. Stir in the yeast mixture & 300ml of luke warm water.
4. While the mix is still lumpy add the oil then knead well to make a smooth and pliable dough.
5. Leave the dough in a bowl covered with a cloth, in a draught free place, to double in size.
6. Meanwhile chop the figs and walnuts and leave them to soak in the orange juice.
7. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface, add the soaked figs and walnuts then knead firmly for several minutes.
8. Shape the dough and put it into an oiled 1kg/2lb bread tin or place it on an oiled baking sheet.
9. Cover & leave dough to rise for about 40 minutes in a warm place.
10. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 40/45 minutes.
Doves Farm Foods,
Bag - Paper
Full Product Name:
Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
To keep your flour at its best, roll down the top after use, store in a cool dry place.
Best before: see top
Ingredients from more than one country. Milled in the UK
EU Organic - GB-ORG-05, EU/non-EU Agriculture
Allergens can be found in the ingredients list
Contains Cereals Containing Gluten
Allergy Advice: For allergens see highlighted ingredients
Spelt Flour* (contains Gluten), *Organic produce
|Typical Values||Per 100g|
|of which saturates||0.4g|
|of which sugars||1.3g|